Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Volunteering: The New York Botanical Garden

At the beginning of the year I attended the volunteer fair on campus. While there, I blindly registered for several organizations simply to have options while trying to decide which I wanted to commit too. After attending several information sessions, I decided upon volunteering at the New York Botanical Garden’s Children Adventure Garden.

Every week I walk just across the street from campus and enter a completely different world. The New York Botanical Gardens is composed of 250 acres with 50 different gardens; an oasis in the surrounding urban area.

The Children’s Adventure Garden is a separate space within the Botanical Gardens that houses a hedge maze, hands-on activities and an indoor laboratory. As an "Explainer" at the garden, I have the opportunity to lead elementary school classes through different activities that encourage the children to use all their senses. In the morning sessions, classes travel through different activities that encourage the children to think and act like scientists. I help the kids realize that, even though they may be from urban areas, they can, and do, know about nature. In the afternoon sessions, families come to the garden and travel to different stations. Each Explainer manages one station and explains to the children and their parents the activity of the table. Sometimes the table is to touch and smell ingredients, other times to sort different items. Either way, I am completely involved in helping the child learn and explore.

Each season leads to new activities. The fall consisted of finding different shaped leaves and discussing how seeds travel. The winter was a gingerbread journey that teaches the kids about the different ingredients in gingerbread and the origin of each item. Currently the program involves the life of a tree.

When I began volunteering as an Explainer I was nervous because my knowledge of nature stems almost completely from elementary school, but I was led through an orientation process and learned from the older Explainers.

I have made some great connections with the employees of the Botanical Gardens and other volunteers, some who are older and some who are in high school. The convenience of the location and the learning opportunities as an Explainer has enhanced my Fordham experience. Prior to volunteering I would go running in the Botanical Gardens and occasionally attend the farmers market on Wednesdays, but I was never able to fully understand the plants, trees and gardens that the Botanical Gardens offer, I took advantage of this unique place. Before, I definitely took for granted Fordham’s proximity to the gardens and the rare opportunities that Fordham students, like myself, can possess there.

1 comment: