Saturday, November 3, 2012

Volunteering at the Right to Play Red Ball Gala!


Last Monday night, I attended one of the coolest events I’ve ever had the opportunity of attending during my college career!

First, let me tell you about Right to Play, a Fordham club very dear to my heart.

Right to Play is an international organization that provides developmentally appropriate sports programs to children in war-torn and developing countries around the world. Through the power of sport and play, RTP educates and empowers children and helps them build a happier, healthier, and safer world. Olympic and other professional athletes serve as Olympic Ambassadors and help to carry out the RTP programs all over the world! We started a college chapter of RTP at Fordham back in 2010. As a fairly new club on campus, RTP plans events and co-programs with other clubs on campus to fundraise for the organization. We work very closely with the people who work in the RTP headquarters office down in Manhattan. This is how Fordham RTP club members were given the opportunity to volunteer at the Red Ball Gala!

The Red Ball Gala was a formal event attended by many of the Olympic Ambassadors as well as RTP benefactors and their guests. The night consisted of a lively cocktail hour followed by dinner and dessert (and the dinner was emceed by the one and only, Bob Costas!) In total, the night raised 1.5 million dollars! It felt great to volunteer at such a beneficial event. I would be lying, however, if I said I wasn’t thrilled to meet some of my favorite Olympians- swimmers Nathan Adrian and Natalie Coughlin! Among many others, athletes such as Dee Dee Trotter, Allyson Felix, LaShawn Merritt, Summer Sanders, Picabo Street, Tony Parrish, and William Henderson were also in attendance.

In all, it was an amazingly exciting night I am glad to say I was a part of.  

Source: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YsM2dFpZFac/UIbg08o_xFI/AAAAAAAAAX8/c86Lb1rrdDw/s862/231_63486573552357750019942359_12_REDB1_20121022_AD_200.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment