Monday, October 24, 2011

Fordham Undergraduate Research Journal


Have you ever known that you've written a really good paper? Have you ever thought about pursuing the ideas of that paper further, and perhaps publishing it in a professional journal?

During Fordham’s Undergraduate Research Week last year, Fordham unveiled the first ever edition of the Fordham Undergraduate Research Journal (or FURJ, as we like to call it). Making it the sixth student-run publication at Fordham, FURJ allows students who are actively participating in research projects of their own a venue to publish their findings. Last year, research pieces that the journal printed covered topics that ranged from the issue of immigration at the Arizona border to mobile sensor data mining to the democratic undercurrents of Harry Potter. One of the most rewarding things about FURJ, though, is that it is an entirely student-run publication. Not only are the articles written by students, but these selfsame articles are reviewed by students (and a faculty advisory board) and edited by them as well! My connection to FURJ is that I am the Copy Content Editor, which essentially means that I check the journal for spelling, grammar, and citation errors. I know, most people think that sounds tedious and terrible, but I actually really enjoy my job. (I totally swore off publications after high school too … guess I reneged on that one!) If you follow this link to FURJ’s webpage, you can view our website and check out a rather helpful guide for English grammar (...that I made). Currently we're in the process of making a new webpage; I'll be sure to update with the new link after that project is complete. And please check us out and like us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment