Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fighting Cancer at Fordham



Picture it. You are standing in the Indoor Plaza at Fordham Lincoln Center. Class has just gotten out and the place is flooded with people. Students with their faces glued to the screens of their phones or iPods, trying to avoid the delicious calories that are being offered by various clubs and GO teams; and I have to admit this is usually me. However today was different, today I was the one sitting behind those tables, providing the sweet treats and trying to coerce people to come donate.

The reason? Relay for Life. Up until I came to Fordham I had no idea what Relay even was. I found out that Relay is a global event that is held every year by the American Cancer Society and its main goal is to fundraise money and awareness for cancer research. There are variations of how each Relay is ran, but here at Fordham LC, it is a day-long event in which teams volunteer and raise money for cancer care. The student organization Colleges Against Cancer host’s Fordham College at Lincoln Center's Relay for Life every year. This year there are 14 teams (mine being the best of course!) that are working hard trying to find ways to raise money to meet their team’s goal-which is why I found myself on the Plaza today.

I am captain of the Campus Ministry LCs Relay for Life team and my seven teammates and I are doing what we can to raise money. One way in which we are able to do that is to table. Tabling is when an organization on Campus commandeers one of the tables lined up in the Plaza and sets up shop. Today my team is providing hot cocoa, green tea, home-baked chocolate and sugar cookies (which are delicious if I do say so myself), brownies, and Penne alla Vodka with Italian bread with a suggested donation of one dollar. Spending the day with my team has been such a great experience, I feel this is a great way to bond and become closer. I have been more than moved over the generosity of the students and staff who have been donating. Many will stop just to chat and give a dollar and not take anything! The best part about the day is that we are raising money for such a great cause! I’m really so proud of my team and for the Fordham Lincoln Center community for coming together and realizing the bigger picture.

Will we meet the goal? We’ll find out April 21st!

To find out more about Relay for Life here's a link to my team's page:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=team&fr_id=40066&team_id=1048792

No comments:

Post a Comment