Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fordham Week Performance Showcase

While the football team was gearing up for its big homecoming game versus Cornell University, the performance groups were preparing for their Fordham Week performance showcase.  Every year, USG (United Student Government) hosts Fordham Week, which is dedicated to performances, seminars, and activities for students.  This year, the performance showcase took place on Wednesday evening on Keating steps.  Students were strewn across Eddie's, our giant lawn, and watched as various singing and dancing groups performed a few numbers of their own.  This event is especially exciting for me because I am the musical director of Fordham's co-ed acappella group, The b-Sides.  My group and I rehearsed the week prior to the performance, perfecting the songs we would perform in front of the student body.  It truly is one of my favorite events because not only do students get to gaze at the beautiful backdrop of Keating Hall, but they also are able to see the variety of performing groups Fordham has to offer.  There is something for everyone here at Fordham, whether it be acappella singing, ballroom dancing, or hip-hop.  We are proud of the popularity of the performing groups at school, and encourage the arts in any way, shape, and form.  Frequently throughout the semester, there will be posters and signs advertising the various amounts of performances each group has at campus on a certain date.  Want to know the best part?  All of these performances are free!  An added bonus is seeing your friends perform.  Not many of my friends knew I could conduct music, so it was fun for them to see me Wednesday night leading the group during our performance.

Fordham Week's performance showcase was just a taste of what's in store for this semester, and I speak on behalf of all the performing groups here on campus when I say we are very exited for what this semester has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment