Thursday, September 13, 2012

Global Outreach

  One of the most well-known groups on campus is Global Outreach, a program which runs student-led, service-immersion trips both nationally and internationally.  There are projects in locations as far away as South Africa, India, and Ukraine, as well as ones closer to home in New York City and Trenton, NJ. 

  During the second semester of my freshman year, I was able to participate in a Global Outreach (commonly known as GO!) project for the summer of 2012.  I was initially somewhat hesitant about applying since spots are limited for each project, but my RA told me about her great experiences with the program and encouraged me to apply.  After submitting my application and attending interviews with the leaders of the projects, I was notified that I was chosen to be a part of the summer New Orleans project!

  From February until May my team of 12 (10 students, one student leader, and one chaperone) met once a week to prepare for our project.  Our particular project involved working at Project Lazarus, a home for people living with HIV/AIDS, where they are given a place to stay as well as the medical attention they may not be able to afford on their own.  Therefore, we spent time learning about the stigma associated with the disease and the disease itself.  We also planned fundraisers, such as a late-night grilled cheese sale, where we all worked together to raise money to offset the cost of the trip and to donate to the places where we were to volunteer.
During a team-building exercise at one of our weekly meetings!
  After finals the time finally came for us to head to the great city of New Orleans!  We stayed at Project Lazarus, where we were able to help with facilities' work and spend time talking to the residents there.  It was amazing to hear each person's story and learn about their lives.  We also took time to explore New Orleans, where we were able to see a free performance from jazz/rap musician Trombone Shorty and visit a costume shop, and we traveled from the historical French Quarter to the Lower Ninth Ward, which still showed many signs of distress from Hurricane Katrina.

My team on the Mississippi River with NOLA in the background.
  I can honestly say that participating in a GO! project was the best thing I've done at Fordham so far.  I was able to meet people that I otherwise never would have encountered, and I now consider them my close friends.  Also, it was an amazing opportunity to be able to live at Project Lazarus for a week, where I learned to appreciate what I have by hearing from the people residing there.  Overall, it was an amazing experience, and I would recommend Global Outreach to all Fordham students!

No comments:

Post a Comment