Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Proud to be a Ram!


To some of those students looking to participate in Varsity sports at Fordham, your experience, beginning with the application process, is going to be different than that of other students. I personally was recruited by the Fordham track team my senior year in high school. I was lucky enough to be invited on an official visit to Fordham, during which I stayed overnight with a potential teammate, and I was able to see what it was really like to be a ram. This is definitely an important piece as an athlete to making the ultimate decision because you are able to see what dorm life is like, what the nightlife is like, and how classmates, roommates, and friends interact with each other on campus. For me that visit really sealed the deal. My soon-to-be team was so friendly and appeared to be a real family (or “ramily” as we call it), and it was clear to me that I would fit in perfectly.

After signing my letter of intent and arriving at Fordham to begin my freshman year there has never been a time when I have regretted or even questioned my decision, and I think that is in large part to the relationships I have built on (and off) the track team. I cannot lie, second semester I did not have much of a “life” you could say. I spent almost every weekend traveling and competing and on the weeknights I was heading to bed just as my roommate and “non-track” friends were heading out. I had the time of my life, though. I was traveling all over the east coast with some of my best friends in the world.

To answer your question, yes, Division I sports are no joke. It is a job, it is time consuming, and it is exhausting. But I must say, the benefits greatly outweigh the costs. Due to my participation in track, I have gained lifelong friendships and a true sense of belonging within the Fordham community. So if it is something you are contemplating, I strongly suggest to contact coaches about getting involved in Varsity sports. I assure you it is an experience like no other, and there is no better way to show your Ram Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment