Sunday, November 11, 2012

Human Resource Internship at Cohen & Steers



Last spring, I applied for several summer Human Resource internships through Fordham University’s career portal as well as online job posting sites. After several resume submissions along with several phone and on-site interviews, I finally landed not one, but five internship offers!

So, which one to choose? Each one had its own benefits – all were paid, but they were all in different areas of NY or NJ and specialized in different sections of HR. In the end, I decided to accept the internship offer at Cohen & Steers for several reasons. First, this internship opportunity allowed me complete a variety of human resource functions that I had not yet been exposed to - tracking and processing FMLA leave, running and analyzing reports, and processing verifications of employment requests. In addition, Cohen & Steers ran a brown-bag lunch session twice a week where all the interns would eat lunch together with an employee from one of the departments. I had the opportunity to learn about the trading, finance, internal sales, and institutional marketing departments, to name a few. In addition, I was able to befriend the other interns- two of which were also Fordham students!

I feel extremely fortunate to have been offered an internship with Cohen & Steers. Continuing the internship throughout the school year has allowed me to continue to learn new HR functions and prepare myself for a career after graduation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment