Friday, September 20, 2013

Getting Involved: College Democrats


Coming to Fordham, I knew that I wanted to get involved politically on campus. I had spent my previous summer working on a political campaign in my hometown, and from that moment on, I was positive that this was something that I wanted to continue when I got to campus in the fall. When I arrived at Fordham, I was a shy and nervous freshman. At the club fair, I found the table for the College Democrats and I immediately signed up. Little did I know that this would be one of the best decisions that I have made since coming to Fordham.

I started going to the meetings with my friends, timid and super nervous about them. Now, I’m on the executive board of the club, as secretary! If someone told me freshman year that I would have this position I wouldn’t have believed them for a second. One of the many really great things about Fordham is that it gives you all the resources that you need to follow your passions and interests, and meet really cool and interesting people while doing it. I met some of my really close friends through the College Dems, and everyone that I have met through it has been so awesome and inspiring.

As club secretary, I send out emails every week about our meetings and upcoming events. Our club discusses currents events and issues going on around our world today, holds debates against the College Republicans, host guest speakers, and goes on fun or silly outings together just as a group. We also hold an internship panel every year, where kids who have had political internships talk about their experiences and how to get one yourself, which is perfect if you are looking to get a head start on that career path. Even if you aren’t planning on majoring or minoring in political science or history or anything of that nature, joining a political group on campus is a great way to stay informed about what is going on around you while doing it in a fun way with your friends and peers.

Executive Board with Senator Dennis Kucinich! 
One of my favorite aspects of the club is the fact that we get to have such amazing speakers. Last year, we hosted Dennis Kucinich, a senator from Ohio. I helped plan and advertise for the event and sat in the front row for his speech! He was so inspiring. I even got to meet him after. He asked me about my experience at Fordham and I got to ask him questions about his career. It was honestly something that I’ll never forget. In the past we’ve had speakers such as Bobby Kennedy Jr. and David Axelrod. I know that the College Republicans have hosted really big names as well in the past.

The new Executive Board for the 2013-2014 school year!! 
Whether you are a Democrat, a Republican, an Independent, or don’t even really know where you stand yet, I strongly suggest joining a political group on campus. You meet such intelligent, interesting, and dedicated people, and you have a ton of fun while still doing something productive and worthwhile. I have met the most remarkable and talented people here at Fordham, and so many of those I have found through all of the incredible clubs and organizations that this university offers, especially the College Democrats. So when you get to campus in the fall as a new Ram, don’t be afraid to sign up for what you’re truly interested in at the club fair. Hopefully I’ll see you at the Dems table!

No comments:

Post a Comment