Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Core: Expanding Your Horizons

To prospective students, Fordham’s extensive core may seem intimidating. Compared to other schools, the amount of required courses we have to take in the humanities and sciences looks a little daunting on paper. 

Coming to Fordham, I was a little nervous about this. Little did I know at the time, but Fordham’s core would really help me not only grow as a student and learn things that I never thought I would have the opportunity to learn, but grow as a person as well. The core offers so many varying and unique courses that at other schools you wouldn’t even have the chance to take, let alone have it count towards your GPA. I have taken a variety of really cool classes such as Press, Politics, & Public Policy, Invitation to Theatre, Catholic Social Teaching, and a lot of other really thought provoking courses. Next semester, I’ll be taking Jazz, a History in Sound, which I’m really excited about. 


One of my core classes got to visit the NY Times office building!

If you come into Fordham knowing exactly what it is that you want to do, that’s great. Fordham’s core curriculum will serve and help you in ways that will aid your major; it’s just hard to see the bigger picture at first. The skills that the core gives you, such as learning how to think, write, and read critically on a number of different subjects, will help you no matter what field you go in to. If you come to Fordham not knowing what you want to major in, the core really helps as well. It will open so many doors to so many different options and choices, and all of my friends that came to school not knowing what they wanted, learned a lot not only about what major they would eventually decide on, but learned a lot about themselves as well.  

Don’t be scared of the core! The classes that you will take here are so amazing and inspiring no matter what the subject is, and I promise that you will find at least two different subjects that you will become interested in that you had no idea you ever would be. The core here at Fordham truly gives you a well-rounded education that you can’t receive anywhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment