Friday, November 8, 2013

The CSTEP Family

CSTEP (Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program) is a New York state-wide program that helps minority and economically-disadvantaged students who are interested in careers related to the science, technology, engineering, medicine, or licensed professional fields.

I was introduced to CSTEP at Fordham last year as a freshman when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to study. At the time, I was interested in teaching, and CSTEP was holding an informational session with alumni who were in the teaching and social services professions. It was very informative for me to hear stories from alumni who are currently teaching and who have just graduated.

Since last year, I have transferred to the Gabelli School of Business and changed my major to accounting, but CSTEP is still an extremely helpful resource. It introduced me to an organization, INROADS, which places students into internships with well-known companies in corporate America. I am currently in the process of waiting for interviews from companies like the Big 4 accounting firms for a multi-summer, paid internship!

On Saturday, October 26, CSTEP held a Career and Professional Development Summit at the Rose Hill Campus. This event was titled “Dream It, Learn It, Be It,” and the day was filled with three different sessions to help students with their career choices, to hear real life stories of successful people who were in our shoes at one point, and to become motivated to continue our studies.

Keynote Speaker, Dr. Adam Aponte
The highlight of the event for me was the “Learn It” section. This was an opportunity to ask Fordham and CSTEP alumni, who are currently in the field we are studying, questions. I got to attend a session about the accounting field with alumni Carolina Polanco and Victor Santos. They told us about their personal experiences studying accounting at Fordham and how they got the careers they are in now. I am very lucky to be a part of CSTEP, as it has many different opportunities for me as both a student and soon to be professional.

CSTEP students in a "Learn it" Session

No comments:

Post a Comment