Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Exploring New York City

 
                One of the main reasons I came to Fordham was because of its proximity to New York City. I was attracted to big, urban environments to explore and I am so happy I came to a school with such easy access to the city. I’ve had some amazing experiences there and this past Friday Night was no exception. I went with my friend to walk around the West Village and Greenwich Village as part of her birthday celebration. We took the The D train, which is located just a few convenient blocks from campus. Even though I had never taken a subway before my freshmen year, I quickly learned how to navigate it and use it regularly with ease. There is almost always some kind of musical or dance act performing for part of the ride, which makes the trip enjoyable. 
Once we arrived, we stumbled upon an amazing bakery called Sweet Revenge that had some of the most unique cupcakes I’d ever tasted. We split a pumpkin spice cupcake covered with generous helpings of cinnamon frosting and pumpkins. We also split a frosting cup, which is literally just a bowl of their Mexican butter cream made to eat by itself. After eating we browsed through cute bookshops, walked down some of the most beautiful streets in Manhattan and even got interviewed by a film crew for a new project by Will Ferrell, just because we were walking down the street. We finished off the evening by taking another subway ride to Radio City Music Hall where we met up with some of our other friends to see the band Bon Iver in concert.
After finishing off the evening with some delicious hot dogs from Grey’s Papaya.  We made our way to the Lincoln Center campus and piled into the Ram Van to head back to Rose Hill. The Ram Van is one of my favorite ways to get in and out of the city; it’s a student run transportation system that shuttles students to Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus from the Rose Hill Campus,where I live, and vice versa. It’s extremely easy and affordable (only $3 each way and free if you are using it to take a class at Lincoln Center or have an unpaid internship).  There are also Ram Vans stationed outside the Fordham Road Subway station beginning at 10pm for weary travelers who want a ride back to campus. One van doesn’t leave until another arrives so you’ll never be without a ride! Being a student at Fordham has allowed me to have amazing nights like this one. The saying is true; it’s impossible to be bored in New York City.  

No comments:

Post a Comment