Monday, October 22, 2012

Find What You Love To Do

As a freshman in college, it is common to have no idea what you want to do when you graduate. One of the biggest perks of Fordham’s location is the internship opportunities. Internships teach you valuable career skills, but they also teach you a lot more. Internships help you see what fields you like and what fields you dislike. New York City has every possible industry one could want to work in, so it is very easy to learn what exactly it is you want to do before you graduate.
Source

Throughout my four years at Fordham I have interned in four very different industries. As I am a marketing major, all my internships have involved marketing. The type of marketing I did, however, was extremely different at each one. I have interned in fashion at Kenneth Cole, in the digital media industry at a website called YourTango, the hospitality industry at a social media agency called The Blaq Group, and finally, in the entertainment industry, for my current internship at Nickelodeon.


From my internship at Nickelodeon, I have learned that the entertainment industry is absolutely the one for me. I would have never known this had I not interned in the other industries, though. I genuinely love what I do at Nick and feel that the work I’m producing actually makes an impact. The tasks I am given never include running errands or fetching coffee. I am assigned projects that full-time employees also work on. I get so excited about the work that I do that I know for a fact this is the type of marketing I’d like to do when I graduate.

My biggest advice that I can give you is to intern in as many industries as you can throughout college. It’s the only way you’ll truly know where your passion lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment