Wednesday, September 25, 2013

$20 Tickets for Matilda on Broadway!


Last Wednesday, I saw Broadway’s prize winning musical Matilda for just $20. That’s right, just $20 for a $180 value, courtesy of Fordham’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) which holds Broadway ticket raffles for students about once a month. That night alone the board gave away 36 tickets to Matilda and 36 tickets to another Broadway favorite, Wicked. With 72 tickets available, almost half of the students who attended the raffle walked away with their choice of one or two (for their date, of course) $20 tickets.


This was my first Fordham raffle, but not my first New York City Broadway experience. Growing up, I saw many shows, such as Lion King, Cinderella, and Mary Poppins. While at Fordham I have taken advantage of “Student Rush Tickets”, available at the box office the day of the show, and saw Mamma Mia! and Rock of Ages. What beats front row seats to Rock of Ages for only $37? Being a student in New York City certainly has its benefits!


Of all the shows I’ve seen, Matilda was definitely one of the best. My friend Alex and I took the Metro North into the city and went out for delicious Thai food beforehand and then headed to the Sam S. Shubert Theatre on 44th Street for the show. Between the dancing, singing, costumes, theater set, and the amazingly-talented nine-year-old who played Matilda, the musical was so entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny. And to boot, we definitely had the best deal in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment