Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A NYC Fall Weekend

After a few busy weeks at school, I knew it was time for a fun-filled, NYC weekend! Although late September weather in New York can often be cool and fall-like, the forecast for this weekend was beautiful, with temperatures in the 80s and sunshine predicted all weekend. I knew it was the perfect time to take advantage of the nice weather and experience a few of NYC's outdoor offerings.

I spent Friday night at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park for a Broken Bells concert. This is one of my favorite places to see concerts, because I am always in awe of how amazing it is to be able to see live music in Central Park, where you can turn around and see the bustling city through the trees behind you. The 4 train from Fordham and the 6 train to 68th street left us near the entrance, while Fordham's intercampus RamVan gave us an easy way to get home after a short walk to the Lincoln Center campus!
Broken Bells at Rumsey Playfield
Saturday afternoon, I made my way back to Central Park for the Global Citizen Festival, which was a free event featuring performances by No Doubt, Jay-Z, The Roots, fun., Carrie Underwood, and Tiesto. Created in order to urge people to take action against extreme poverty and other issues, the festival included statements by world leaders and other individuals in support of these positive changes. The all-day event was extremely cool and seeing so many people gathered in the middle of New York City to take action was even cooler.
The Roots performing at Global Citizen Festival
Sunday morning, my friends and I took the MetroNorth train (right off campus!) to Grand Central and hopped on a subway downtown so that we could walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Afterwards, I stayed in the city to enjoy the beautiful weather, finding a spot in a park downtown where I could do my homework before heading back to the Bronx.
A perfect day for walking the Brooklyn Bridge!
By the end of the weekend, I had fallen in love with New York City all over again and was grateful for the easy access I had to such cool activities from Fordham's campus!

No comments:

Post a Comment