Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Senior Spotlight: Nick Lopresto

     Name: Nicholas Lopresto
     Hometown: Jericho, Long Island (Nassau County)
     Major: Psychology/Pre-Med
     Graduation date: May 2015

     Why did you choose Fordham? I was actually between Fordham and Northeastern as my last two schools. I had gotten into NYU with some scholarship, but I hated that there was no campus feeling there and everyone basically commuted to class. I was planning on seeing Fordham and Northeastern in the same weekend, but I came to tour Fordham first because it was closer to my house. The second I stepped onto campus, I knew that this was my new home. I didn’t even end up going to the Northeastern tour! Fordham’s campus is so beautiful, and it’s amazing because you get the best of both worlds. Not only do you get the amazing trees and grass on campus, but also Manhattan is a short subway ride away. Also, the student body here at Fordham is so giving and compassionate, and it showed a lot in the way the students interacted with each other when I was on my tour.

     What clubs/organizations/internships have you been involved in? What has been your favorite experience? (Please explain!)
I have been involved in a lot here at Fordham. I would say the two biggest time commitments I have been involved in were the Ramblers and Mimes and Mummers. The Ramblers is Fordham’s only all male acapella group. We competed in ICCAs, got to sing at prestigious events all around NYC, and were even on TV to sing for the Columbus Day parade. I quit Ramblers about a year ago so that I could focus on my studies and eventually landed an internship at Bellevue Hospital called PAVERS. One of the reasons I love Fordham is it’s close proximity to the city. I go to the hospital once a week from 8pm-12 am and I get to see so much in the emergency room at Bellevue. When I’m not volunteering at the hospital, I am usually doing research in the Neuroscience department under the supervision of Amy Roy. Finally, I was recently cast as “Angel” in the Mimes and Mummers’ production of RENT which will open February 26th and run through March 1st.  All the clubs I have been involved in at Fordham have been so unique and enriching. The people here are truly motivated and passionate about what they’re doing, and I don’t think that necessarily holds true for other colleges.

     What do you think is the best resource available to students on campus
      I think the library here is fantastic. First of all, it is so beautiful and whenever I am in it I never feel like studying is that much of a chore. The librarians are very helpful and I often frequent the library to print papers, take out books, and make copies.

     What is your favorite personal memory at Fordham?
I think my favorite Fordham memory is probably when 3LAU came for Spring Weekend two years ago. I just remember feeling so amazing when everyone was together dancing in the parking lot, and it was right after my Ramblers concert so there were good vibes going all around. I think Spring Weekends in general are my favorite Fordham memories.

     Where is your favorite place to hang out at Fordham or in NYC? (Keep appropriate).
As I said before, Fordham has so much to offer. Not only do you have all of the Bronx to conquer, but you are so close to NYC that there are endless options. In the Bronx, I love to go to Arthur Avenue with my friends for dinner and go to the countless bakeries for their amazing coffee and Italian pastries. In the city, I love to see Broadway shows or I usually like to go shopping in SOHO.

     What are your plans/goals/aspirations for post-graduation?
     After graduation, I intend on taking a gap year before applying to medical school. I have already completed my MCAT and my Fordham Committee application, so now it’s just a matter of applying to medical schools and waiting to hear back! Fordham has been so helpful with my application and I really feel like I am ready to conquer medical school and succeed as a future physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment