Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fordham Nightly News


Fordham Nightly News, or FNN, is the Fordham daily news program run entirely by students. FNN broadcasts Monday through Friday at 5:30 p.m. from Rose Hill’s Walsh Library. The program is executively produced by a professor at Fordham, Matthew Schottenfeld, but each day has an individual student producer who runs the show.

FNN broadcasts international, national, and local news, along with weather, Fordham and national sports, entertainment and special features about Fordham life. The script is written by the broadcasters themselves and the entire show, on and off camera, is run by Fordham students.

At FNN, I work behind the scenes. Mat taught the students and FNN members interested in tech the ins and outs of the control room and each student learned the skills behind all the positions. One night a week I control the audio board, but the other options include, switch board, character generator, and cameras.

On the audio board I am in control of the microphones and adjusting the voice levels of each talent member through the audio board. Also the public service announcements (PSA) and the extra videos may have sound that I adjust.

At the switch board the operator is in charge of the changing of every screen shot. This person, in my opinion, has the most stressful tech job because he or she must switch from talent member to talent member and to the different PSA’s and different images used.

The character generator creates all the words and images the viewer sees on the program.

The camera person is, obviously, in command of the camera shots.

Mat is there for initial teaching and then troubleshooting throughout the year, but he does not participate in the airing of the show, students are completely in charge.

I have learned more about the behind the scenes of a television show by working at FNN then in any of my classes. Having the hands-on experience allows me to place the history and facts that I learn in my communication classes into reality.

Although I am a communications major, I have never planned on working on a professional television show, but I joined FNN to have a new learning experience and to have a more interactive understanding of what I learn in my classes.

FNN is aired every night at 5:30 p.m. here on campus on Channel 10, but also is live streamed through the library website at http://www.library.fordham.edu/livestream.html

Also, the students of FNN have produced a Twitter and Facebook page so you can follow FNN and check photos and keep up to date on Fordham news.

http://twitter.com/#!/FUNightlynews

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=90824165446&v=info

No comments:

Post a Comment