Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Law Firm Internship


This summer, one day a week, I intern at a law firm in Brooklyn that specializes in landlord-tenet and real estate law. I had thoughts of becoming a lawyer, and I figured the best way to really test out this ambition was to see what a “day in the life” at a law firm was really like. That and I had an interest in real estate, possibly as a future business venture down the road. The experience would come to prove valuable in more ways than I imagined.



My typical day begins by checking in the attorneys from the firm at the Brooklyn Civil Court. Then, I shadow one of the lawyers in court during the morning. This consists of talking to clients, negotiating with opposing counsel, talking to the court attorneys and the judges. It’s face-paced and stimulating work. That lasts until 1:00, when court lets out for lunch. After lunch, we usually go back to the office and do clerical work. This includes duties such as answering phones, preparing evidence, copying documents, and managing some of the billing. While this might not be as exciting as the morning sessions, the work is good office experience for someone who hasn’t done much else but schoolwork for the past 14 years. My typical day ends at 5:00, when I hop on a train back home to the Bronx.


Ian Powell

FCRH 2013

1 comment:

  1. That branch of law doesn't sound as boring as some other branches of law... like water law.

    ReplyDelete