Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"If you're not doing what you love, you're wasting your time." -Billy Joel

The last words my mother said to me on Move-In Day were, “I went to college so burnt out from high school. I didn’t join a single club or go to a single basketball game. You’ll handle your classes, just join something. And be a fan. You won’t regret it.” I didn’t listen to my mother much in high school, but that hit home. I heeded her advice and stopped at just about every table at the club fair (sorry Finance Society, I skipped you). One organization there was Residence Halls Association (RHA).
I had been a part of student government in high school, so I was intrigued. RHA ran programs in the residence halls, put on events campus wide, and worked with Residential Life and the Dean of Students to address student concerns. This seemed like the perfect organization for me. I ran for programmer of my hall, made some corny posters, talked to residents, and won. RHA was fine. I attended my weekly meetings, carried my weight at programs, met a few people, but that was it. Towards the end of the year, I was slightly disappointed in RHA. It wasn’t what I thought it would be. I saw members out to dinner together or hanging out on Eddie’s. Other halls were working on large programs. I wasn’t part of any of that, which was fine; I would try something new next year.

       It’s still unclear what came over me at the end of my freshman year, but two days before Executive Board nominations, I realized what I got out of RHA exactly what I put in. I never went the extra mile. I never took time outside of meetings to better our initiatives and get to know new people. It wasn’t the organization that I was disappointed in; it was myself. I decided to run for the Chief Financial Officer position on the executive board, made some corny jokes in my speech, talked to residents, and won.  
       That was sophomore year. Three years later as a senior, I serve as the Executive President of Residence Halls Association. Because of RHA I have had some of my greatest experiences, made some of my greatest mistakes, and met some of my greatest friends. I have been able to travel to Phoenix, San Diego, and Omaha. I had the opportunity to present at the National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference. I have learned organization, the need for creativity in work and in serving my peers; I have also learned humility. I am currently on a board with six of the most talented and ambitious men at Fordham. It’s hard to think where I would be without RHA, if I hadn’t listened to my mom or if hadn’t run for executive board. The lesson in all this? Don’t knock something without a little self-reflection; you would be surprised what defines you.

No comments:

Post a Comment