Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Oh, the Places You'll Go with Gabelli!


We did a lot of shopping at the markets!
Ever since I have returned to campus after Spring break, I have been itching to put away my winter jacket. Unfortunately, the weather in New York still is not warm enough for my summer wardrobe. However, I did have the opportunity to break out my summer wardrobe over Spring break since I went on a Study Tour to Santiago, Chile with Gabelli's Global Business Honors Program. This was my third and final trip with the program. It was also probably my favorite trip, especially since it was over Spring break!


Our visit to El Teniente Copper Mine
While we were in Chile, we attended several lectures at a Chilean Jesuit University and visited several companies. The purpose of the trip was to experience the business and culture of Chile. One of our company visits was to Codelco's El Teniente Copper Mine, which is the largest copper mine in the world. We dressed up in orange jumpsuits complete with hardhats, gas masks, and ear plugs. It was quite an ordeal getting 45 people into the correct gear, but it was such a great experience to tour the mine since copper comprises such a large portion of the Chilean economy. We also visited Banco Estado, Start-Up Chile, JP Morgan, and

Quebrada de Macul Vineyard. 

Although our days were very busy, we still managed to fit some touristy things into our days. I certainly ate a lot of great food while I was in Santiago. My favorite part of each meal, though, was my drink. In Chile, there was raspberry juice, which tasted just like blended raspberries, which tasted absolutely amazing! It is a shame that we do not have such an amazing drink readily accessible in New York restaurants. Perhaps I will have to introduce it to New York! 
San Cristóbal Hill

One of the interesting aspects of Santiago is that there are many hills and even mountains right in the midst of the city. Therefore, there were a several places to climb to great views overlooking the city. One of the best things to do in Santiago was climb
San Cristóbal Hill, which was a mountain in Santiago. Atop the mountain was a statue of Mary overlooking the whole city. As a group, we climbed to the top and watched the sun set over the city. It was an absolutely magical experience that I would highly recommend to anyone ever visiting Santiago! 

Overall, I had an amazing trip. I was sad to leave Santiago and I hope to one day return, but it was also nice to come back to Fordham and share my experiences in Santiago with my professors and fellow classmates. This experience was so enriching and has definitely shaped my understanding of Chilean business and culture so that I am a much more knowledgeable individual entering the global business arena. I would highly recommend this trip and Gabelli's other Study Tour opportunities to every Fordham student. Not only are they a ton of fun, but you really learn so much!





No comments:

Post a Comment