Friday, October 16, 2015

A Trip to the Frick Collection

When I decided to head to school in New York City, a city full of some of the greatest museums in the world, my dad repeatedly reminded me to check out his favorite. “You have to see the Frick, it’s this rich man’s art collection in his grand, old mansion.” And I did what all good children do, and nodded my head and totally disregarded this golden piece of advice.

The entrance to the collection, on the corner of E. 70th and 5th Ave.

This week when I found out I had a day off of both work and class, I decided I would pay the Frick Collection a visit. I gathered a few of my roommates and walked up and through the park to the Upper East Side.

The iconic indoor garden.
The building was a masterpiece in itself, complete extravagance and beauty. My friends and I repeatedly wondered how someone lived in this incredible mansion in New York City. It felt like a quick trip to Europe. We saw a lot of work and practice sketches from an Italian painter named Andrea del Sarto, whom Henry Clay Frick really admired. We saw beautiful portraits from François Boucher, Joseph Mallord William Turner, and more incredible artists I had never heard of. 

We saw the iconic indoor garden and the water fountain, wondered more about how someone could be this wealthy, and continued our exploration through the halls. Before we left, we sat down to watch a small video about the history of the collection. I learned that Henry Clay Frick was not just some old, rich dude. He intended for his collection to be housed in his home so that in the future the public could enjoy his favorite works. He had passed away in 1919 and the museum didn’t officially open until 1935. It was cool to experience these famous paintings, rather than him having kept them locked away in his own privacy. So, thanks Mr. Frick! I absolutely loved your house and your impressive collection of art!

I also learned my parents are usually right, so I texted my dad these shots of the garden (since it is the only room in the museum that allows photography.) I highly recommend paying a visit to this incredible collection, just another Wednesday afternoon going to college in the coolest city in the world.


The indoor garden's water fountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment