Thursday, January 28, 2016

Becoming a "Cosmo Girl"

Going to school in the heart of Manhattan gives you the identity of two people: one, a college student, and two, a New Yorker. Some days you are the busy undergrad, running from class to class while trying to manage coffee runs in between. And some days you are a New Yorker, investing yourself wholeheartedly in city life. The way in which you dive into the city is the interesting part.

One of the main reasons I wanted to attend Fordham's Lincoln Center campus was for all the internship opportunities available right at your fingertips. You can step outside your door and be a few blocks from the world's top financial firms, broadcasting stations, or political enterprises. As a college student, this exposure is crucial to your career.

View from the 38th floor of the Hearst Tower, mere blocks from Fordham University's Lincoln Center Campus. 


So my freshman year, I decided to take full advantage of my reason for attending school in the city, and I went searching for an internship. As a business student minoring in journalism, my career goal is to become a financial journalist. Therefore, I ventured out looking for an internship in the world of journalism. So as a freshman, you can only imagine my excitement when I got an internship at Good Housekeeping Magazine! I absolutely loved interning in the Hearst Tower, walking daily among top editors of the world's most prominent publications. 

In fact, I loved it so much that I decided that I wanted to intern there again. First semester of this year, my sophomore year, I interned for Elle Decor's web team. This was even more exciting than my previous internship, for I loved Elle Magazine and it's home decor sector, and I was given lots of opportunity to write articles for the website. Having my name published on elledecor.com with articles that I had written made me feel like I was doing valuable work as an intern, and really contributing to the world of journalism.



Now, in the second semester of my sophomore year, I am still interning in the Hearst Tower. But this time, I am with my all time favorite magazine: Cosmopolitan! This is literally my absolute favorite magazine, so I am so psyched to be working there. Not to mention that I have daily run-ins with Joanna Coles, the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan who is known for driving the world's largest women's media brand to where it is today. 

So this is how I have immersed myself in the daily happenings of the city. Some days I am a college student, some days I am a Hearst employee. I love both parts equally as much, and honestly could not imagine my college career in any other location or at any other school than I am at now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment