Tuesday, March 29, 2016

New Experiences: The Metropolitan Opera

It’s amazing how my time at Fordham has led me to discover new things that I otherwise would have never experienced. This is especially true in terms of my newfound love of the opera. It all started in my first semester at Fordham. In my philosophy of human nature class, my professor allowed us the opportunity to earn some extra credit by going to see the opera Aida, by Verdi. Wanting to earn a few extra points, and also curious, I decided to go.

The Metropolitan Opera House is located at Lincoln Center, and is only a 5 minute walk from Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan. Utilizing Fordham’s intercampus shuttle, and dressed in my very best, I arrived to the opera house not knowing what to expect.
The Metropolitan Opera House located at Lincoln Center

The building was absolutely beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helped direct me towards my seat. But perhaps even more beautiful than the theater was the opera itself. The sets were stunning, the dancing was extremely graceful, but above all the singing was phenomenal. Despite not knowing any of the words being spoken (the opera was in Italian), the opera was incredibly emotional and moving, both happy and sad. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

Since then, I have gone to two more operas my sophomore year, La Boheme and Madama Butterfly both by Puccini. Being a student at Fordham, I have been able to buy steeply discounted tickets and sit only a few rows away from the stage, making my experience even more incredible. I even made one of my best friends by going to the opera.
The Interior of the Opera House


Before coming to Fordham, I had no interest at all in opera. It is only because Fordham is constantly encouraging me to try to new things and broaden my experiences that I was able to discover my love for classical opera. Going to school in New York City allows for many new experiences, especially when one is a student of Fordham University.  

No comments:

Post a Comment