Saturday, October 29, 2011

Touchdown Houston!!!

I had always been a fan but never imagined being a part of an actual NFL team. When I applied for an internship with the Houston Texans, I never imagined I would be standing on the sideline several months later of an NFL game, working with five other interns to make sure our sponsor activations went off. As part of the Corporate Development intern team, I worked on the business operations side of the franchise, meeting with sponsors and working to make sure their contracts with the Houston Texans were fulfilled. The experiences you gain from actually being in an office, sitting in on meetings, giving your input is something you can only gain from immersing yourself into the environment. The internship provided me the opportunity to build on and apply the topics I had learned in the classroom to the business world. One of the benefits to working with a professional sports team, was the action side of it, getting to see what you had worked on all week come to life every Sunday. During my time with the Texans, we helped with training camp during preseason as well as several of the preseason games. The feeling you get standing on the sideline watching the players line up for kick off is amazing. This combined with the experiences I had throughout the internship helped me realize that the business side of sports is what I want to pursue after Fordham.

Internships are the key ingredient to any undergraduate education, merging one’s knowledge from the classroom with real life experience. During the semester, New York City provides you with endless opportunities for internships, supplementing you’re the education you receive at Fordham. This gives Fordham students an edge that not many other college students can boast. Being in New York City is an opportunity that enhances not only your college experience but will help catapult you into a successful future as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment