Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Saturday in NYC

I'm originally from a relatively small suburban town in Massachusetts, about 40 minutes north of Boston, and when I was applying to colleges, I was drawn to Fordham because of its close proximity to New York City. Now that I'm a student here, I can't wait for my Friday classes to end so I can head into Manhattan and explore!

This past weekend was no exception. My Saturday began downtown, with a visit to The Strand bookstore in Union Square. This store's claim to fame is its sheer size: it's home to 18 miles of books, and I love the homey feel created by the cramped, towering shelves stuffed with books. I always find a deal here: this time, I found a cloth-bound $5 copy of Pride and Prejudice from the 1930s.

Next, I took the subway to Columbus Circle so I could walk through Central Park, which is one of my favorite places to visit in the city. I walked from 59th street towards the top of the park, passing street performers and community baseball games while admiring the fall foliage. I stumbled upon one man who was blowing enormous bubbles using a bucket full of a soapy liquid and a giant apparatus made of two wooden poles and some string. Yet another man was playing Tom Petty's "Free Fallin" on an instrument made from PVC pipes. You never know what you'll find in the Park.

The day ended with a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This museum is perfect for college students because it operates on a donation-based system, so I paid only a quarter to enter the exhibits. Even though I've been here before, I always am able to see something new because of the museum's massive size. This time, in addition to stopping at some of my favorite paintings, I also took an elevator to the roof, where the sculpture garden is located.

As you can see, it's really easy to find ways to have a fun day in the city while keeping it cheap!

1 comment: