Friday, February 28, 2014

From South Africa to Fordham: Meet Meishanka-Tyla Moodley





Meishanka-Tyla Moodley. 

Major: Public Accounting

Graduation Year: 2015

Where are you originally from and how did you decide to come to Fordham?
I am of Indian heritage but was born and raised in Durban, South Africa.  I am part of the third generation of Indians that have been in South Africa.  I decided to come to Fordham firstly because it was in my dream city - New York.  I had already visited New York on a high school trip the year before I headed out here for college and had fallen in love with the city.  I knew that that I had to live here for a few years; I couldn’t get enough.  I had heard great things about Fordham University, but I specifically chose Fordham for its well-known Jesuit foundation.  I had grown up in a Christian home and had gone to a Christian school my whole life so I knew that I would feel comfortable in a place that instilled similar traditions and values. 

Tell us a little bit about the international community and the orientation for international students.
There is a larger international community in Fordham than I had originally thought.  That is one of the many things I love about New York is that full of people from all over the world so there is such a variety of culture.  I think the international community relates to each other here on a certain level because we have all been through the culture change/assimilation and all face the same difficulties of leaving home and everything we know for better opportunities.  My international orientation as a freshman was pretty different since I came to Fordham mid-semester, but I think the orientation process that Fordham has in place now for international students is just getting better and better and has overall really benefited the students here. 

What are some extra circulars you have become involved with?
Well when I first got to Fordham, like most freshmen, I was involved with as many clubs as I could be.  By sophomore year, I started to focus on the Fashion for Philanthropy Club, which was something that I am really loved and enjoyed.  I eventually also joined Beta Alpha Psi, a finance and accounting chapter that has benefitted me in my field of Accounting.  I have gained many connections through the club and as a result have held some internship positions.  Those opportunities have really contributed to my education on the business life in New York City that has helped me excel in my career.  However, my most important, favorite, and most time –consuming extracurricular activity is definitely my Resident Assistant position at Fordham University.  I have been an RA for 2 years now and will continue to be one as I complete my fifth year (CPA).  I applied to be an RA in my junior year because I really wanted to me more involved on campus.  I love the position; I get the chance to positively influence and assist students on a daily basis.  College involves the same ups and downs for everyone. Some students are just further away from home than others, but we all face similar challenges.  Going through those experiences myself being 8,000 miles away from my home, I knew I could help other people that are going through that. 

What is your favorite thing about Fordham?
I love the feel and culture of the campus; it’s just so beautiful.  I also love that I get the best of both worlds living on the Rose Hill Campus.  I experience the busy city life and the serenity of this amazing campus at the same time.  I really love the community and the friendly culture that Fordham has built here. The culture is great and allows me to meet new people everyday.

What is your favorite thing about New York?
The benefits of New York being such an attractive and major city of the world, is that everyone from everywhere wants to come here.  I’ve met people from all over the place and learned something from each individual that I have encountered here.  Everyone has a different story to tell; it’s very exciting. 

Anything else you would like to share with international students who are considering Fordham?

I say they should definitely go for it! Yes, it is difficult being away from your home, your family, and everything you know, but I have to say that I have no regrets.  I would have never thought that I would have learned or experienced this much in 4 years! It has been life changing.  Fordham University has played an essential role in making me into the person I am today.  I have been exposed to so many opportunities and I am glad that I made the best of them.  Attending a school like this has been an honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment