Monday, February 17, 2014

How Fordham Captured My Heart

It’s my senior year of High School and there are a million things on my mind—prom, graduation and of course, where am I going next? I have gotten responses to all the schools I applied to, and it turns out I have more options than I thought I would. This should be good, right? Well…yes and no. It’s always good to have options, but choosing a college is a big deal. Out of the 7 schools I applied to, Fordham came out as the winner. This was not however an obvious choice in the beginning. If you find yourself in this position, then here are just a few ways Fordham ultimately stole my heart:

An important factor in choosing a school was, first and foremost, the education I would get. As a Business Week top 100 schools, I knew this would not be a problem at Fordham. I also did not even remotely know what I wanted to study—shocking. I knew Fordham would provide me with a strong educational background whether I wanted to study business, biology or theology. As a second semester Junior, I have chosen the Gabelli School of Business and I continue to be impressed and excited with how many opportunities Fordham as provided me as a business major. 

Another important factor in choosing Fordham was how I saw myself there. Would I be comfortable here? Would I be able to find people with similar interests as me? The answer to both those questions is undoubtedly yes. At the accepted student days and open houses, I was consistently welcomed by the student ambassadors and with big smiles and guidance. It was then that I decided that I too wanted to help perspective students fall in love with the school the way I did. Since I’ve been here, I have met people that I am confident will be life long friends. Regardless of if I have known someone for 2 1/2 years, or for 5 minutes, I have always felt a sense of family and warmth among my fellow students. A helping hand is always offered when needed and I have grown as a person who is also always willing to offer my own helping hand. The idea of the Fordham family is very much a reason why I’d rather be nowhere but here.   

Ultimately, the most important factor in choosing any school is feeling as though the school will contribute to you as much as you will contribute to it. I have broken out of my shell while at Fordham and am continuously challenged academically and personally. Whether my friends and I are laughing over pasta on Arthur Avenue, or studying together in the library, I can honestly say that no matter where I am on or off campus, with my Fordham family, I am home. 

Written by Kristen Hefferan-Horner

No comments:

Post a Comment