Thursday, March 6, 2014

Confirmed by Eggplant Rollatini: Why and How I Chose Fordham

Spring Preview 2012 awaiting my eggplant 
I chose Fordham for the eggplant rollatini. The exact moment I knew Fordham was for me I was sitting in Amelia’s authentic Italian restaurant on Arthur Avenue just outside campus. I was a senior in high school, still deliberating between Fordham and Boston College, and my family and I decided to venture off campus for dinner after attending Fordham’s Spring Preview event for admitted students. Well, let’s just say that ordering that eggplant rollatini was ultimately the best decision of my life so far.

Students playing on Eddie's green
Now, the deliciousness and abundance of off campus food was certainly not my only factor in choosing Fordham to be my home for the following four years- it simply confirmed my decision. Since I did not know what I wanted to major in, I knew that a Jesuit school would give me the opportunity to take a wide variety of classes to help me figure out my interests and strengths. I applied to a variety of Jesuit schools, among others, and visited each campus. I remember being absolutely struck by the beauty of Fordham’s campus and I loved that students were outside lounging on the grass on such a beautiful day. I really sensed a community. Two years later as I walk to class everyday, I always look around me and think how beautiful Fordham’s campus is and how lucky I am to be a part of this community.

Sunday morning run in Central Park
Another important factor that contributed to my choice to come to Fordham is its location in New York City. I have lived in suburbia Connecticut my but the “hustle and bustle” of city life has always appealed to me. What makes Fordham so special is that it really is the best of two worlds- providing a green campus and community to live in, and also providing close access to New York City. This makes Fordham truly a unique university. Having New York City right at my fingertips has lead to so many opportunities and experiences that I would not have been able to find elsewhere. For example, I intern two days a week on 7th avenue at GroupM ESP, a sports marketing company. I’m not sure how many college sophomores have the opportunity to have such real work experience during the school year. Additionally, I have attended multiple Broadway shoes, went to many concerts, and ate at some truly amazing restaurants- all just a subway ride away.

One of my favorite weekend activities is to go for a run either right outside campus in the Botanical Gardens, or take the Ram Van down to Lincoln Center and go for a run in Central Park. Each time I do this, I realize how beautiful New York City is and how unique it is that I am a part of not only Fordham’s community, but also a part of New York City’s vast community. 

Now, would I have chosen Fordham without the most delicious mozzarella laden eggplant dish that I have ever tasted? Yes, but the deliciousness certainly confirmed my good vibes about Fordham, New York City, and my day at the Spring Preview. Palumbo’s, the bakery we went to after dinner for cannolis, might have also have been contributing factor….
Did I forget about the desserts???

No comments:

Post a Comment