Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Senior Spotlight: Cathy Landry

Name: Cathy Landry
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Majors: English and Spanish

Why did you choose Fordham?
I chose Fordham because to me it really represents the best of both worlds. I have all the advantages of New York City, plus a beautiful, traditional campus. I have rigorous and well-respected academic work, plus a lot of fun things to do. I have programs and people here helping me grow intellectually, but also personally.

What have you become involved in during your time here at Fordham?
I have been a tour guide for four years at Fordham. I've also volunteered for four years at an all-girls after school center in the South Bronx, tutoring and mentoring middle school girls from the area. I've been very involved with a program called Global Outreach, which is like an alternative breaks program: we send students to 34 different locations around the US and the world to do service and immerse themselves in a new culture. Some of the locations include Guatemala, India, Romania, San Diego, Detroit, and Alaska. I currently serve on the executive board of this program. 

What is your favorite memory of your time here at Fordham?
There are so many, but I have to choose the Under the Tent dance that just happened last weekend. Everyone gets dressed up and has a blast dancing the night away--we don't have a ton of formal events on campus, so it was a lot of fun to see everyone dressed up and having fun! I'm sad it was my last Under the Tent dance, but I had fun being around all my friends.

What are your plans following graduation? 
Following graduation, I will be entering the Peace Corps. I won't be leaving until the fall (and I'm still not sure what country I'm going to--finding out in two weeks!). It's a two year commitment, and I'm really excited to apply all I've learned at Fordham about creating community and social justice in a new country.

What advice do you have for students as they make their final decision in the next few days?
Trust yourself. I waited until the very last day to make my decision and even almost sent in two deposits. I knew I wanted to go to Fordham but I was afraid of committing to something that seemed like such a huge decision. Trust your gut--you know what's right for you!

1 comment: