Monday, September 22, 2014

Summer in Florence


This past summer I spent a month studying abroad in Florence. I took two courses that would count for credit toward my core at Fordham: History of Contemporary Italy, and Italy in British & American Literature. When I arrived in Italy for the first time, I could not believe the beauty that was surrounding me. My apartment window looked right out onto the Piazza del Duomo! It was so exciting living in such a busy part of the city, watching permanent residents and tour groups alike passing by at all times of the day.


View of the Duomo from my window
My favorite parts of Florence were the Ponte Vecchio bridge and Piazzale Michelangelo, where we could see a beautiful view of the city.  During my time in Florence I visited several museums, both for class requirements and on my own time.  I saw the Uffizi Gallery, the Pitti Palace, and Michelangelo’s David in the Galleria dell’Accademia.  We also explored outside of Florence, visiting several other parts of Italy.  The study abroad program even brought all the students on a field trip to Assisi where we toured churches and a medieval castle.

Walking by the Ponte Vecchio


Aside from organized field trips, I went with some of my friends to visit other cities on our own as well.  Fortunately I was in Rome on Festa della Repubblica, the Italian National Republic Day, so we got to see the parade.  We also explored the rolling hills of Tuscany surrounding Florence.  This trip to Italy gave me the opportunity to check a few things off my bucket list:  gondola ride in Venice, cliché picture with the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and Casa di Giulietta in Verona.  Of course I have to mention food, as I definitely got my fair share of pizza and gelato during my time abroad.  While four weeks might seem short to some, my experience in Italy was everything I could’ve imagined and more!

Festa della Repubblica in Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment