Thursday, February 12, 2015

Senior Spotlight: Nicholas Spanos

Name: Nicholas Provatas Spanos
Hometown: Waterford, CT
Major: Biological Sciences
Graduation date: May 2015

Why did you choose Fordham? 
I chose Fordham because I wanted to be in a large city, but at the same time wanted to live on a college campus with trees and grass and all that good stuff. I also chose Fordham because it is in the Bronx. I wanted to be exposed to communities that were different from the ones I grew up in and I knew I could continue my passion for community service at Fordham.


What clubs/organizations/internships have you been involved in? What has been your favorite experience? 
I have been involved in a variety of organizations on and off campus. I am on the E-Board for the pre-medical club, Laennec Society, and I also am a tutor for organic chemistry through the Chemistry Department. I also am on the E-Board for Fordham's Up 'Til Dawn Club that fundraises for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I would have to say, however,  that my favorite involvement is my position as a social justice leader through the Dorothy Day Center. This position has introduced me to the incredibly diverse and underserved populations throughout the Bronx. For example, I began volunteering at a suicide prevention clinic for Latinas called Life is Precious and volunteering in the Emergency Department  at St. Barnabas Hospital right at the end of Arthur Avenue. Lastly, this position includes being an Urban Plunge Assistant where I lead a group of incoming freshmen throughout the Bronx at various service sites and introduce them to topics of institutional racism and social inequalities.

Helping out in the Fordham community

What do you think is the best resource available to students on campus? 
I think that the Dorothy Day Center is the best resource available to students! It has over 200 connections and contacts with various service sites throughout the Bronx. I promise that any student who goes beyond the gates of Fordham will gain a different perspective of our society.


What is your favorite personal memory at Fordham? 
I think my favorite memory at Fordham was simply my entire freshmen year making such good friends with everyone on the SILC 1 floor. Not sure if my Fordham experience would be the same without them. We are all still best friends and have a fun group!


Where is your favorite place to hang out at Fordham or in NYC?
From the SILC lounge to the Dean's List
I really enjoy hanging out in the lounge area in the basement of Keating or the semi-secret desks in Duane Library on the 3rd floor when I want another place to study other than the library. My favorite go-to place in NYC is Herald Square and the adjacent Korea Town for some good shopping and cheap food. I am also obsessed with the Chelsea Market because of its amazing sushi in the Lobster Place market.


What are your plans/goals/aspirations for post-graduation? 
I applied to medical schools this past summer and got accepted into some of my top choices! I am ultimately committing to Tufts University School of Medicine in downtown Boston! Currently, I am interested in becoming a cardiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment