Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Who Interns in a Pineapple Under the Sea?

This semester I am fortunate enough to be interning at Viacom, a mass media company that owns television and film networks like MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Paramount, Spike, and Comedy Central, among others. I am specifically working with the Nickelodeon account at their Times Square office, which to me is the opportunity of a lifetime.


I landed this internship with the help from my senior peer advisor, Kyla, who was assigned to me when I was a freshman (every freshman at Fordham is assigned an advising group and a peer advisor depending on your major for the first semester of college). After forming a relationship with her through the advising program and RHS, we’ve kept in touch since she graduated in 2013. I was aware that after leaving Fordham she moved on to a position at Viacom, and after contacting her about internship opportunities, I quickly found myself filling out applications and going on interviews. A few weeks later I found out I got the position, and that Kyla would be one of my managers!


Since starting my internship with Nickelodeon I have been working on their consumer marketing team. No day at the office is the same since I get to work on such a variety of projects. In recent weeks I have been revamping the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan Club, as well as developing content for Nick Jr.’s new “Beyond the Backpack” program, which is geared toward helping parents prepare their child for kindergarten. In my opinion, the office environment is a perfect combination of hard work and fun. While it’s important to meet deadlines and be productive, you’re working in an office with giant Lego Spongebob statues and Nicktoons jingles playing from computers at every other desk. In addition, it’s quite common that you’ll see Fordham pennons hanging in cubicles, since a good amount of Viacom employees are Fordham alumni!



It’s only been a month since I became a Viacom intern, but I couldn’t be happier with the job. Opportunities like these make me proud to be a Ram, because without the help of Fordham’s rich alumni network and fantastic career preparation-geared curriculum, I wouldn’t be nearly as successful as I am today.


No comments:

Post a Comment