Monday, March 30, 2015

Volunteering on Broadway

My uniform! Check out the BC/EFA at broadwaycares.org
I've loved live theatre and the Broadway community for as long as I can remember. In fact, the accessibility to Broadway shows was one of the main reasons I wanted to come to Fordham. I also love volunteering, so when I heard about an opportunity to volunteer with Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (also known as BC/EFA), I was very excited to get involved.

The BC/EFA raises money to combat HIV/AIDS, and last semester, I signed up to be a volunteer for the Bucket Brigade. As a member of the Bucket Brigade, I stand with a red bucket at the end of participating Broadway shows and collect money for the BC/EFA during their fundraising seasons. I also sell autographed Playbills and fun souvenirs to benefit the cause. At the end of the collecting seasons, the BC/EFA celebrates with the Gypsy of the Year and Easter Bonnet Competitions where casts from Broadway shows perform both hilarious and moving original pieces.


It’s been an incredible experience to help with such a wonderful cause. Because I have a weekly night class at Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus, it’s very easy for me to walk over to the theatres and help out. There are so many ways to get involved around New York City, and this is one of my favorites. And the next time you go to a Broadway show, don’t forget to drop a dollar or two into the red bucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment