Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My Favorite Fordham Experience


One of the most popular organizations at Fordham University is Global Outreach, which provides teams of Fordham students the opportunity to travel, both domestically and internationally to partake in a service and immersion trips. Fueled by a desire to experience a new part of the world and an interest in international cultures I decided to apply for an international GO! project at the beginning of my sophomore year, and it is unquestionably one of the best decisions I have ever made at Fordham. 

After going through the interview process I received a call from the student leader of the GO! Mexico project letting me know that I would be spending my winter break in Puebla, Mexico. One of my favorite aspects of the Global Outreach program, as oppose to other service trips, is the amount of preparation that each team undergoes for months leading up to departure. Starting in October my team, of ten students and our chaperone, met weekly to learn more about the Puebla community where we would be staying and we also got to know each other better. 

 
On January 7th, 2016 our group landed in Mexico City, from where we drove two hours to Puebla, the third largest city in Mexico. The ten days I spent in Mexico were an unforgettable experience. We visited many parts of Puebla, spent time farming, and helped out at a school for the blind just to name a few aspects of the trip. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to see such a beautiful part of the world and interact with the incredible people who live there.


Another reason I enjoyed my GO! project so much was my amazing team. Prior to joining Global Outreach, I had never met any of the students on my team. GO! Mexico 2015 consisted of students from all classes as well as both Gabelli and Rose Hill students. Through our weekly meetings leading up to the trip and our ten days together in Mexico I became incredibly close with each member of my team. Its strange to think how without Global Outreach I never would have met the remarkable Fordham students who shared in this memorable experience with me.

Fordham University does an excellent job at providing their students opportunities to experience and learn from the world around us. To any person considering applying to a Global Outreach project I highly encourage you to do so as I truly consider it one my favorite and most impactful experiences in college thus far.

Check out this link to learn more about Fordham's Global Outreach program.





No comments:

Post a Comment