Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Internship Opportunities through Fordham!

Being surrounded by so many great career opportunities in New York City, one of Fordham’s best and most useful resources is often the Career Services Office. Offering events like career fairs, interviews, and information sessions with top-level companies, as well as the opportunity to schedule an appointment with any of their advisors, they provide an invaluable resource to the Fordham community. Its no wonder that so many Fordham students have great internships during their time in school and go on to do impressive things afterwards.
            I made my first appointment with career services last spring, and while I was initially nervous about beginning my search for an internship, my advisor made it easy. She helped me to polish my résumé and sent it out to the American Association of Publishers. Within a few weeks I was set for the summer at Sterling Publishing.
A few of Sterling's most successful titles
            Sterling Publishing is small subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, located on 6th & 45th just a few blocks away from Bryant Park. They publish most of B&N’s non-fiction and children’s titles. In particular, they are well known the publishing world for last year catching the adult coloring book trend early. My boss was a Fordham alumnus and he, as well as the rest of the staff made my fellow interns and me feel right at home.

My usual breakfast stop in Bryant Park
My responsibilities were far from trivial, as I was in charge of generating the company newsletter that goes out to potential buyers, as well as corresponding with those buyers and librarians directly to send them advanced copies of our upcoming titles. 
Sterling also hosted weekly sessions to teach us interns about different facets of the publishing industry from someone who works in that department. During the last week of the internship, we attended a networking event at Hachette Publishing with representatives from W.W. Norton, Penguin Random House, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, and more. I have Fordham Career Services to thank for busting me out of my comfort zone and providing me this great opportunity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment