Monday, February 6, 2017

Making NYC My Campus Again

Last semester, I was fortunate enough to have one of the best experiences of my life studying at Fordham’s London Centre. While abroad, I vowed to fully make use of my lengthy weekends by exploring London and everything it had to offer. From visiting historical sites to checking out the numerous free art and history museums, my agenda was packed with the goal of becoming a true Londoner, even if just for three and a half months. My explorations paid off well when I was able to, two months into the semester, give a group of tourists accurate directions on how to get to Kings Cross Station.

The Victoria and Albert Museum in London- One of my favorites!

But then it hit me. While I knew how to get to Oxford Street by foot from anywhere within the London city limits, I still have to pull up a subway map on my phone to get anywhere here in New York City. I have never been to the Met. My last play was my freshman year, two whole years ago. Fordham is located in one of the most culturally rich cities in the world, and, despite having infinite opportunities to explore it, I have failed during my first three years at trying to be a New Yorker.


Koreatown in Manhattan


As soon as I stepped off the plane last month, I promised I would change that, and I would say that it is going pretty well so far. I have been on the Ram Van more times in the past three weeks than I had ever been on it my first two years here. I spent my first weekend back exploring a new neighborhood (Koreatown!), my second weekend at a concert (Does Winterfest at LC count?), and, in the spur of the moment, waited outside in line to see Live! With Kelly before my Wednesday class.

Balcony seats to see Kelly Ripa
Yes, I may be one of the few Fordham students who have jumped in late to following the “Fordham is my School, New York is my Campus” mantra. Whether a student recognizes the wonderful opportunities going to school in NYC brings his first year or it takes three years and being half way across the world to realize what she has been missing, Fordham students can truly attest that New York City is their campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment