Monday, February 27, 2012

Beyond the Rose Hill Gates




When you walk into the student center of the Rose Hill campus, you will come across a large banner that reads “Fordham is my school, New York is my campus.” Being that New York City is roughly 20-30 minutes from campus, this is most certainly a true statement. For the past 2 years, I have had some of my best experiences and memories while exploring the many things New York has to offer.

One of my favorite places in the city is Union Square. Union Square is easily accessible by the subway located a few blocks from campus. While visiting Union Square, I took a short walk to Avenue A between 8th and 9th and found a store called Sustainable NYC. If you are interested in Fair Trade, going green or living an organic lifestyle, this is most certainly a store for you! You can buy jewelry, make up, hand bags, and so much more with a guarantee of the product being sustainable! Inside the store there is also a small café to satisfy even your biggest sweet tooth. The café sells Fair Trade coffee and hot chocolate as well as vegan baked goods! I hope you enjoy your visit to Sustainable NYC as much as I did.

If you are looking for thrift store bargains, there is no longer a need to take the subway all the way to Brooklyn. Beacon’s Closet recently opened a new location not fair from Union Square on 10W 13th Street. Beacon’s closet is a high end thrift store that includes clothing from some of the top brands. With a small college student budget, this is a great option to find quality clothing without paying crazy high prices! On a Saturday afternoon, my friends and I love taking a quick trip to Beacon’s Closet to pick up everything from a pair of earrings to stylish high heels to a pair of designer jeans!

My last favorite spot to visit in NYC is Peanut Butter & Co. Did you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day for lunch while you were in elementary school? I did, and it is still by far one of my favorite lunch time options! The Peanut Butter and Co. Sandwich Shop located on 240 Sullivan Street offers peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with flavored peanut butter. You can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with cinnamon swirl peanut butter, dark chocolate peanut butter and so many more! You can also enjoy a peanut butter and banana sandwich or a peanut butter and bacon sandwich! One of my personal favorite menu options is a chocolate peanut butter milkshake! If you love peanut butter and jelly, be sure to make a trip downtown for Peanut Butter & Co.!

Being at Fordham opens up an entire world of options and experiences in New York City! There is always something to do in the city which can make your experience at Fordham that much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment