Thursday, February 23, 2012

The FCRH Honors Program


One of my most rewarding Fordham experiences has been being a member of the FCRH Honors Program. The Program consists of approximately 120 students, roughly 30 per grade level, which allows for small class sizes, with around eight to 10 students in each class. Each Honors course is both discussion (rather than lecture) based and writing intensive, challenging each student to express their opinions effectively on paper and verbally. The Honors core is slightly different from the standard FCRH core; it is organized chronologically, and each semester focuses on a specific period in time. For example, first semester freshman year was the “Ancient” semester, so I was enrolled in Ancient Literature, Ancient History, and Ancient Philosophy. The next semester, I again took each of these three courses, but the topic of each shifted to the Medieval Era.

The above picture (photo credit: The Ram) is of Alpha House, the building in which most Honors classes take place. This is just one of the program's perks; Honors students are given keys to the building so that they can access it at any time, whether to study with friends or to use the computers and couches in the basement. I have also been exposed to many different aspects of NYC's cultural life via the Program: I've seen a handful of operas at the Metropolitan Opera House and visited a variety of art museums, most recently, the Frick.

When I first arrived as a student at Fordham, I had some trouble adjusting to the rigor of the Honors Program, which is what made me volunteer to be a freshman mentor at the beginning of my sophomore year. My mentee and I have become good friends; we have lunch every couple of weeks to catch up, and I answer any questions she has about the Program, such as what professors I would recommend taking. Mentoring has forced me to take the time to reflect on and appreciate my experiences as a freshman, something I may not have done otherwise, and I also am grateful to have gained another friend at Fordham.

For more information about the FCRH Honors Program, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment