Sunday, October 12, 2014

All the world's a stage! Recent and Upcoming Productions at Fordham and in NYC!

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to be in the Mimes and Mummers first production of the semester, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard. This show is an interesting take on Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Stoppard gives the audience a sort of “Behind the Scenes” look at the events of Hamlet through the eyes of two minor characters, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I played the role of Ophelia in this production. The show was a huge success; we were even sold out on Thursday and Sunday!  

The poster for this production was made by the Mimes & Mummers' Vice President, James Demetriades, FCRH '14! 
The following Monday, I went to our monthly Campus Activities Board (CAB) raffle for events around New York City. At the raffle, you’re given one ticket with a number on it. It’s free to enter the raffle, and then if your number is called, you’re given the option to buy tickets to any of the available events for only $20! This month, the events were Phantom of the Opera, Sleep No More, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder and Aziz Ansari’s Madison Square Garden show. I lucked out this month, and my number was called! I chose tickets to Sleep No More, an interactive reimagining of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. My roommate and I are so excited to go later this month! 

Tickets for this show normally run upwards of $85; getting them for a fraction of that price is just one of the many perks of being a Fordham student!
To complete my week of theatre events at Fordham, on Wednesday I auditioned for Fordham Experimental Theatre’s Playwrights’ Festival. Every semester, students are invited to submit shows that they have written that are between 5 and 30 minutes long. The executive board of the club picks between 3 and 5 of them to be performed. I was fortunate enough to be cast in one of the shows, The Sweepstakes Redemption written and directed by Nick McNallen, FCRH ’16. The Playwrights’ Festival is one of my favorite events at Fordham, and I’m so excited to be a part of it this semester!

The poster for the Spring 2014 Playwrights' Festival; I was in Confessions by AJ Golio! 

No comments:

Post a Comment