Saturday, November 7, 2015

Falling in Love with Fordham Theatre

I took a giant leap when I left for college. Not only did I move across the country (I’m from San Diego), but I also chose to study theatre, which is a risk.

That being said, I fell in love with the Fordham Theatre Program. It is a welcoming community that rejects competition and embraces support. I feel no need to compete with my peers for opportunities; in fact, I constantly have to turn opportunities down so that I have time to sleep.
Photo Credit: Shea Servidio

One of my favorite parts about the theatre program is the Studio Season. Our Studio Season consists of 20 shows per year that are student acted, directed, designed, and occasionally written or devised. And the best part is that you don’t have to be a major or minor to participate. Anyone can audition, design, or assist on a studio show. It’s a great way to meet new people, stay involved with theatre, or experience something new.


Once In a Blue Moon
Written By: Elia Chuaqui
Pictured: Dan Duren and Tal Shoshua
Costume Design: Bonnie McHeffey
Set Design: Vincent Gunn
Lighting Design: Elizabeth McManamon




Even if you don’t want to get involved, they are free to see and generally run about an hour. I like to view seeing a studio show as a nice study break where you are also seeing wonderful pieces of theatre.


Our studio seasons are also very diverse because the students propose which shows they want to direct. This season ranges from a Brechtian inspired piece about 4 classic American novels, to a workshop musical that is being written around the people in the room, to Carol Churhill’s Top Girls, and many, many others.


Mr. Marmalade
Pictured: Glenn Morizio, Calla Smith, Elli Stoval-Brown
Costume Design: Danica Martino
Set Design: Hillary Manning
Lighting Design: Katie Ryan
Photo Credit: Celina S. Lam

No comments:

Post a Comment