Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Food, Fun and Friends: A Smorgasburg Adventure

One of the greatest things about living in the heart of New York City is that practically everything you could imagine is only a subway ride away. Now that I have lived in the Upper West Side for over a year, I am finally getting more adventurous with my weekend excursions. This past weekend, I finally got to check something off my bucket list: attend Smorgasburg.


Smorgasburg is a giant seasonal outdoor food market that runs every weekend from April to November in Brooklyn. On Saturdays, the food festival is held in Williamsburg at East River State Park, before moving to Prospect Park on Sundays. Rain or shine, over 100 vendors serve an upwards of 10,000 people daily from 11 a.m to 6 p.m.  


The entire trip from Fordham’s Lincoln Center campus to Williamsburg only took about about 20 minutes. With full wallets and empty bellies, my friends and I adopted the “divide and conquer” method: we each went to different food booths, then shared what everyone got.


It was a beautiful day to sit on the waterfront and feast on the best eats NYC has to offer. Once we arrived, we realized it would be impossible to try everything that looked yummy...mainly because there wasn’t a single thing there that was unappetizing! After three hours of eating, sipping on lemonade, and more eating, we finally packed up our bags and went home...taking a few goodies for the road. While I wish I could show you everything delicious we tried, I’ve narrowed it down to my three favorite dishes (it was a really difficult decision).


First on the list are Home Frite french fries. The line for these fries rivaled that of the infamous Ramen Burger...after standing in line for 25 minutes, we got a fresh batch of their classic fries with spicy ranch dressing. The wait was worth it; the fries were gone in under five minutes!
The wait time from Home Frite fries was 25 minutes, 20 minutes fewer than the Ramen Burger wait.

After noticing how quickly the fries went, we decided to get two orders of my next favorite food: Big Mozz giant mozzarella sticks. Having the sweet tooth that I do, I couldn’t list my favorite foods without putting a dessert on the list.
Although these mozzarella sticks were kind of expensive at $10 for four, it was completely worth it!

The winning dessert (out of the many I had bites of) is the “Goodwich” ice cream sandwich from The Good Batch. It was the perfect treat to cool off with on the warm late summer day.

Just one bite wasn't enough...we all bought our own Goodwich sandwiches after tasting it!


No comments:

Post a Comment