Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Summer Internship: Yale University Press

The library where I worked
This summer, I had the opportunity to work at Yale University Press in New Haven CT.  I was an intern in the Intellectual Property and Administration Department.  This program was a ten-week summer internship for college students to learn about the publishing process and gain experience in fields such as publicity, marketing, acquisitions, and art workshop.  As a communications major and marketing minor who plans to go to law school, I was able to learn a great deal from working at Yale Press.  Everyone who works there was friendly and knowledgeable, and took the time to teach me important skills.  I was also able to attend meetings, book launch, and editorial panels to get an idea of the behind-the-scenes work that takes place during the publishing process.  It was fascinating to see the way that each of the departments plays a role in the overall completion of a book. 

New Haven town green

The courtyard of Yale Press
I was able to obtain this internship because of valuable skills that I had learned at Fordham.  Working in Intellectual Property required a great deal of critical thinking and organization.  In addition, core classes that I had taken in my freshman and sophomore year had prepared me for the work environment and encouraged me to explore new fields to find topics that were interesting to me.  This internship proved just how many skills I was developing at Fordham, and was a great way to spend my summer.  After building great connections with many of the Yale Press employees, I worked in New Haven again over the winter break and was able to learn even more. The experience was a great way to challenge myself and make connections with other college students from all over the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment