Monday, March 2, 2015

Fordham takes part in National Screening Day


One of my favorite things about Fordham academics is that learning takes place not only in the classroom, but outside of the classroom as well. At Fordham, there are so many opportunities to learn and explore at events in New York City and on Fordham's own campus! 

On February 3, 2015, colleges and universities across the country took part in a National Screening Day of the soon-to-be released film, The Man Who Saved the World, Fordham being one of them. The Theology Department at Fordham even arranged for one of the film’s producers to come to the viewing and answer questions afterwards.

The film tells the story of Soviet Lt. Colonel Stanislav Petrov’s actions that ultimately averted nuclear war in 1983. Petrov followed his own conscience over protocol. Since the film provides an  entry point to consider the scientific, ethical and moral challenges presented by nuclear weapons, my Research Ethics professor encouraged my class to attend the filming. 
My Professor asked us to e-mail her a "selfie" from the event!
The next day in class we were able to have an in-depth discussion of the movie. It was a great way to examin ethical issues using a real-world example. Attending events on campus as part of a class is one of the great ways in which professors make learning exciting at Fordham. 

Opening scene of the film. 

For some of my other classes I have attended on campus events as well as events in the city. For my Irish Literature Class, I went into the city to see a showing of the play Juno and the Paycock. Similarly, for my Jewish History Class, I attended events at the Museum of Jewish Heritage as well as guest lectures in Walsh Library right here on campus. Lastly, as a math major I am always attending math talks on campus and even travel into the city frequently to hear mathematicians speak at other universities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment